All of us at one time or another have felt overwhelmed by our jobs, businesses, our family responsibilities, or just life in general. I bring this up now since we are right around corner from the holiday season and the holidays seem to add just a little more stress into our lives. After a while, the sense of feeling overwhelmed can feel so heavy that you walk around numb, frustrated or desperate. It can make you feel stuck.
I confess it happens to me sometimes. Typically, it’s when I have over committed myself. So, how do you avoid it and what do you do about it when it happens? There are a set of practical steps that you can take to get back on track. Follow this list and get back on top of things and stay on top of things.
- Set boundaries. Are you working an excessive number of hours? Establish a more reasonable schedule that allows you to bring more harmony into your life. In the long term, a productive person working less hours is significantly better than an unproductive person working excessive hours.
- Clear your mind. Are the ideas and the action list holding space in your mind? Do a brain dump of everything that is running through your head. Let the paper, or your favorite electronic device be the holder of those thoughts.
- Learn to prioritize. Not all the action items on your list are created equal. Determine which ones contribute to your career and life goals. These are high value items. If they don’t, scratch them off; that will feel so good when you do. The things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of the things that matter the least.
- Chunk it down! Now that you know what is of high value, break down the task into small chunks that can be done in 30 minutes. It will be easier to manage and complete.
- Accept the fact you’ll never be caught up. You’re probably a person of action. You have goals and aspirations and an inbox that is rarely empty. Accept it. You enjoy meaningful work and making a difference. Chances are you will always have things left to do.
Take one of the ideas and run with it for a month, then implement the next one. Take a deep breath! You are exactly where you need to be.
Are you doing the right things but not seeing the results?
Schedule a free 60-minute Clarity call.